The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox

For an utterly compelling read, check out The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox. It starts as any old day for 30-something Scottish shopkeeper Iris Lockhart. Then she gets a phone call that changes her life. She has a great aunt (Esme Lennox) who has been locked up in an asylum for 60 years and now the asylum is shutting down and she is responsible for Esme. Iris thinks there must be a mistake but no, Esme is indeed the well-kept family secret.

A great deal of the story is told through flashbacks from both Esme's and her sister Kitty's perspective. (And you have to read carefully to realize which one is "remembering" at the time.) Piece by piece, Esme's story is revealed and it is heartbreaking. The book also says a lot about how little control over their lives women had, back in the day.

At a mere 245 pages, you'll have a hard time putting it down. (The author is Maggie O'Farrell)

Comments

  1. I finally read this, Julie and I loved it! A very interesting book that I could not put down - thanks again for the tip. I also just finished Cutting for Stone and I loved that as well. We have bookclub this week to discuss it and I can't wait. Have a great night!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked both of them.

    My book group was mixed on both books--half the people loved them and the other half didn't.
    But that made for an interesting discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone in my bookclub loved Cutting for Stone - we had a great discussion. Out next book is The Elegance of the Hedgehog - have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My aunt's book group read Hedgehog and loved it. I read something else by the same author and wasn't crazy about it. The last book everyone in my book group loved was Zeitoun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Zeitoun! I am reading The Book Thief right now and am really enjoying it - I like the different writing style.
    Have a great weekend.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone else told me they liked the Book Thief. I'll have to see if my library has it.

    Have a great weekend too!

    J.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts