Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close

Girls in White Dresses relates the trials and triumphs of a group of 20-something women in New York City as they try to navigate their way through new jobs, first apartments, and sometimes ill-advised romances. The book is set up as a series of vignettes rather than following a traditional novel format.

I liked this book, though I didn't love it as much as some reviewers did. I thought the main characters seemed realistic--though I did have a hard time keeping some of them straight, especially when "back-up" characters, like Cate (no one calls me Caitlin), started getting chapters of their own.

Some of the stories were hilarious while others were poignant. I was disappointed that so many of the women seemed to be settling for men they knew were not really right for them (such as Mary the hardworking lawyer who realized she would always come in second to her future mother in law and married the guy anyway).

Comments

Popular Posts