Fast Falls the Night by Julia Keller

I didn't realize this was part of a series when I picked it up at the library. So I read it as a stand-alone book and thought it was a good--and very timely--story. In short, heroin has become a widespread problem in impoverished Acker's Gap, West Virginia. But now things have taken a turn for the worse. Someone has added a deadly new ingredient to the heroin and addicts are dropping like flies. The story is told in a 24-hour period as the small police force and paramedics try to keep up with all the calls coming in about overdoses--while trying to find out who is distributing the deadly drugs before anyone else dies.

There are subplots going on at the same time: A vet is trying to spend more time with his beloved daughter--against the mother's wishes. A main character's sister has just received a grim diagnosis. A pastor and his wife are trying to put their marriage back together in this their new town.

I suppose if I had read the earlier books in the series, I would have more of a connection to all of the characters involved in the subplots, but I thought the main plot made for a compelling read. Just be warned, the story ends with multiple cliffhangers. I hope the next book comes out soon so we can see what happens to Bell, Jake, and Shirley.

Comments

Popular Posts