Movie review: Certified Copy

This movie got rave reviews in both Chicago papers as well as on the Ebert at the Movies TV show. I'm not sure why.

I concede that the director succeeded in showing that it's often hard to tell what's real and what's a copy--and that the copy may be beautiful in its own right. I think Juliette Binoche is a wonderful actress and the Tuscan scenery was beautiful. But I didn't think this movie would ever end.

Juliette plays a French woman living in Tuscany. William Shimell plays a British author who has written a book called Certified Copy. He is giving a talk on the book, she is in the audience. She leaves a note that she'd like to meet up with him later. Do they already know each other? Who knows? He comes to her art gallery. They take off for a little town where brides and grooms go because it's supposed to guarantee a happy marriage. They spend the day wandering around the town. A woman in a cafe assumes they are unhappily married. A married couple makes the same assumption. Soon they start acting as if they are really married--but are they? Who knows?

Juliette's character seems so overwrought for most of the movie that I thought, if she really doesn't know the author, she may be crazy. But if she does know him, she may be just an unhappy wife. Who knows which reality would be better?

By time the movie ended, I was really sorry that I had not spent my money on the new Bradley Cooper thriller instead.

Comments

Popular Posts