Death Comes to Pemberley by PD James

I'll admit it that I'm not a huge Jane Austen fan. Which is probably why I liked Death Comes to Pemberley, a sort of sequel to Pride and Prejudice. My sister, who is a huge Jane Austen fan, did not like this book much, I think because the characters did not ring true to her. To me, it was just a good murder mystery featuring some familiar characters--Darcy & Elizabeth (now happily married), Jane & Bingley (also happily married), that rake Wickham (still a scoundrel) and Lydia (still a flake).
The story goes thus: On the eve of a big party at Pemberley, Elizabeth's sister Lydia shows up in hysterics. Her husband Wickham is found in the woods, drunk and sobbing over the body of his friend Captain Denney. Wickham swears he didn't kill his friend but no one can come up with a plausible alternative. Therein lies the mystery.

If you are a die-hard Jane Austen fan, you might not love this book. But if you just like a good mystery, well told, check it out.

Comments

Popular Posts