Better to Rest by Dana Stabenow

I've read all the Kate Shugak books by Dana Stabenow and loved them. So I thought I'd give the Liam Campbell series a whirl, especially since Stabenow's newest book, Restless in the Grave, features both Kate and Liam. I picked up Better to Rest, which was the only Liam Campbell book at my library.

I'll start by saying it was a decent story. A hand is found out near a glacier which leads to the discovery of a WWII plane that crashed in 1941. That is one thread line of the book--which I didn't think was very well resolved at all. (There is a bag full of gold on the plane and it wasn't clear to me why. And if there was a spy on the plane, who was it?) The other thread line involved the murder of a feisty grandma named Lydia, which was better resolved.

Stabenow gives you a good view of life in Alaska and intersperses a lot of interesting tidbits about the history of Alaska in all of her books. And the character of Liam is appealing enough. But I prefer the Kate Shugak series. She just seems like a more three-dimensional character to me.

Comments

Popular Posts