Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter

I don't know what to make of Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter. I loved JW's earlier novel, Citizen Vince, and couldn't wait to read this. And I do laud his ability to think bold. Not everyone could manage to write a novel that included a small town in Italy, grunge rock bands, Scientologists, Liz Taylor & Richard Burton, and the Donner Party and make it work. Though truthfully, some parts worked better than others. I loved the story of Pasquale, a sweet Italian "hotel" owner who meets an American actress and can't get her out of his head decades later. And I loved the story of Claire, a Hollywood producer's assistant who knows she deserves better--in her work life, her love life, life in general. But I thought the plot with Pat the grunge rocker kind of dragged--and there were way too many scenes of drunk Richard Burton gallivanting around Italy. Still and all, it is a charming story with a happy ending, so I would recommend it. (But I'd also say, read Citizen Vince, which I liked a little better.)

Comments

Popular Posts