Light of the World by James Lee Burke

I normally love James Lee Burke's "Dave Robicheaux" series. I like the two flawed heroes,
Dave and his best friend Clete. And I love his beautiful descriptions of the Louisiana setting. That being said, I did not love Light of the World, which is set in Montana, where Dave, Clete and their families go on one very violent vacation.

The whole book was way too dark and there was way too much violence against women. A crazy serial killer, presumed dead but unfortunately still alive, is responsible for the horrible deaths of a series of women
--and that's before the story gets rolling. Now he's after both Dave's daughter Alafair and Clete's daughter Gretchen. Several women get kidnapped. There are rape and torture. Evil men meet gruesome deaths, as do innocent bystanders. By the last 200 pages, I was just skimming to see who made it out alive. So while I think James Lee Burke is a wonderful writer, I do not recommend Light of the World.

And now I have to go find a good chick lit book to get this story out of my head.

Comments

Popular Posts