The Shattered Tree by Chas. Todd

Sorry I've been MIA. I've started reading several books but nothing caught my fancy long enough for me to finish it. Then I discovered a Chas. Todd book I hadn't read yet on the shelf at the library.

I love the Inspector Rutledge series by Todd (a mother and son writing team). But this is one of the Bess Crawford books, of which I have read but a few. Bess is a nurse during WWI. She gets injured at the front lines shortly after treating a man who was found wounded near a shattered tree. Everyone assumes he's French but during a period of delirium, he starts talking in fluent German, raising Bess's suspicions. When she is sent to Paris to recover from her own injury, she decides to investigate the mysterious solder, who has since disappeared. This leads to all sorts of complications and intrigue and several attempted murders.

Comments

Popular Posts