Winter in Paradise by Elin Hilerbrand

I love Elin Hilderbrand's Nantucket novels (which always make me want to go check out the island for myself). So it was a little jarring that this new series is set in the Virgin Islands. And I found the beginning a little confusing because so many characters were introduced at once (I started reading this book late at night, which didn't help). Basically, Irene Steele is a happily married editor living in Iowa with her often-traveling-for-work husband, Russ. One night, Irene gets a call saying her husband has died in a helicopter crash in the Virgin Islands. She had no idea that's where he was.
So she calls her 2 grown sons, who are undergoing rough patches of their own. They decide to join Mom to figure out what happened to Russ. When they get to St. John, they find that none of them really knew Russ at all.

The book ends with a cliffhanger, since this is the first of a series. I did find it puzzling that none of the family members seemed overly concerned when they couldn't get any details about Russ's death from anyone in the Virgin Islands--and were unable to track down his boss.

Once I figured out who was who, I enjoyed the story. Though I still missed the Nantucket setting.

Comments

Popular Posts