Good Riddance by Elinor Lipman

I saw a list of good books for summer reading and Good Riddance was on it, so I found a copy. Newly divorced Daphne moves to NYC. Because her apartment is tiny, she starts getting rid of stuff--including an old high school yearbook that her late mother had bequeathed to her. Mom was the yearbook moderator at a high school in New Hampshire. Every year for decades, she attended the class reunions for the Class of '68 (which had dedicated the yearbook to her). And every year she wrote notes (sometimes kind of snarky) about members of the class. Daphne sees no need to keep this yearbook so she tosses it in the building's recycling container--where her obnoxious neighbor,  Geneva, finds it and decides to use it as the basis of a documentary about the class of '68 and Daphne's mom. Needless to say, secrets come out. Chaos ensues.

And then there's Daphne's relationship with the handsome actor who lives across the hall, which was actually the part of the story I liked the best.

As I was reading this book, I had a feeling the author was kind of making it up as she went along. I liked Daphne, though she did seem to need a little direction in her life. My favorite character, however, was Daphne's widowed father, a former school principal, who moves to NYC, becomes a dog walker, and finds true love.

Comments

Popular Posts