Normal Rules Don't Apply by Kate Atkinson

 Let me start by saying that I love Kate Atkinson's writing--the Jackson Brody books, Life After Life, etc. But this book left me puzzled. It's a series of short stories, some of them interconnected. They feature fairy princesses, a talking horse, a murder, a mysterious event that keeps killing people and animals. By time I got to the very end, I was totally confused. 

I think I need to go back and reread Started Early, Took My Dog--my favorite Kate Atkinson book. That too had a lot of subplots going on that seemed unrelated, but she managed to pull all the threads together by the end. I heard there's another Jackson Brody book coming out next summer. I eagerly look forward to that one. 

Not sure whether I can recommend Normal Rules, though the writing is beautiful, as always.

Comments

Popular Posts