Leaving by Roxanna Robinson

 I liked this book more than I expected to, having just slogged through several not-great dysfunctional couples books. Sarah and Warren grew up together then fell in love. Then one day, Warren suggests that they travel to Bucharest and work their way around Europe to pay the bills. She can't imagine why he wants to go to a communist country, and working a bunch of low-level jobs is not how she wants to see Europe, so she abruptly breaks up with him. Warren is devastated but lets her go. He eventually marries a woman named Janet and Sarah eventually marries a man named Rob, and both of them have kids. Neither of the marriages is particularly happy though Warren sticks it out a lot longer than Sarah does. Then decades later, they run into each other at the opera and realize the spark is still there. Which sets off a chain reaction of events.

I won't say what happens next but there is a lot of heartbreak involved. And I will say that Sarah's 2 kids turned out a lot nicer than Warren's entitled, bratty, obnoxious daughter did. (I can't remember the last time I wanted to slug a character in a book so much and to tell her to get over herself.) I truly felt sorry for her husband because I think he was going to have a rough road ahead if he ever disagreed with her.


Comments

Popular Posts