Take Me With You by Steven Rowley
I loved the Guncle, so I was excited to hear that Rowley had a new book coming out. But I'm not sure what to make of Take Me With You. Jesse and Norman have been together for 30 years and they're kind of stuck in a rut. One night, Jesse sees Norman being beamed up in the backyard of their desert home--and going willingly. Alone for the first time in years, Jesse doesn't know what to do. Especially since he's not sure if Norman is coming back. So he slowly begins to reinvent himself. But then people (like Lally, Norman's sister) notice that Norman has been MIA for a while and they begin to wonder if Jesse had anything to do with it. Jesse doesn't know how to explain what actually happened to Norman without sounding insane.
And then a year later, Norman reappears, with no clue where he's been or how long he's been gone. And Jesse once again is not sure what to do next.
It's an interesting take on long-term marriages, and there are some funny scenes. But I still liked The Guncle better.
Comments
Post a Comment