Worth the wait

I had read the entire "Bernie Gunther" series by Philip Kerr except for one volume from the initial trilogy which never seemed to be available at my library. I finally got my hands on German Requiem and it was worth the wait. The series starts with Bernie as a cop in Berlin in the 1930s (March Violets). He has no use for the Nazis, which doesn't bode well for long-term career advancement. This volume, set 2 years after the end of the war, details his war-time experiences as a reluctant member of the SS and a prisoner in a Soviet POW camp. Kerr really makes you feel like you're in Germany in those turbulent times. And yet, his hero never loses his dry sense of humor. I highly recommend the whole series.

Comments

  1. For anyone who enjoys the game of bridge (I know this includes you, Julie) and doesn't disdain Young Adult literature, I highly recommend The Cardturner by Louis Sachar. Not only does it have excellent characters, a little mystery and a little romance, but the author also includes bridge lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment. I will look for it at my library.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts