A Duty to the Dead by Charles Todd

I love the Ian Rutledge series by mother/son writing team Charles Todd. So I was excited to find out that the duo had started another series featuring a World War I nurse named Elizabeth Crawford. A Duty to the Dead is the first in that series.

As a story, it was okay. I liked the beginning parts (where the nurse is on a hospital ship that hits a mine and sinks) more than the later parts (where she's trying to untangle a convoluted mystery in England, which seemed to take forever). I guess I just like the Ian character (and the voice in his head, Hamish) better than Bess. He just seems more intriguing and complex than she does.

And I have to say, if you're looking for a good book about a World War I nurse, I think the Maisie Dobbs series by J. Winspear is a better choice.

Comments

Popular Posts