Arctic Chill by A. Indridason

Arctic Chill is another good mystery in the series featuring an Icelandic detective named Erlandur. I like this series because you get a good sense of place--and I've learned alot about Iceland in the process. For example, who knew racism was an issue? In fact, who knew there were Thais and other Asians living in Iceland at all?

I also like that Erlandur is well-developed and not perfect. He's still dealing with the death of his little brother in a blizzard years before. He has all kinds of issues with his ex-wife and kids. And he gets obsessed with the cases he's working on. But you know he's the kind of single-minded cop you'd want solving your case, should the need arise.

Some interesting phrases pop up in this translation, which I found amusing. I think they were going more for the British market than the American market.

Comments

Popular Posts