Though Not Dead by Dana Stabenow

My sister got me hooked on this series of books set in Alaska and featuring the feisty and fiercely independent Kate Shugak. Though Not Dead picks up where the previous book ends, with the death of Old Sam, Kate's surrogate father. Alot of the story is told in flashbacks of Sam's long life, which coincides with much of the history of Alaska. Sam has left Kate a mystery to solve, so she's digging into his life. And Jim, Kate's cop boyfriend, is digging into his own family's history, after the death of his father. The 2 plot lines play off each other well. And the reader learns alot about the history of Alaska in the process.

What drew my sister to this series is the fact that Kate uses her wits and skills to get out of dicey situations rather than waiting for a man to come rescue her. And that's what makes me keep coming back. I also love Kate's relationship with her best friend, Mutt, her half wolf/half dog constant companion.

Comments

Popular Posts