Not a Shred of Evidence by Chas. Todd

I've been waiting for a bunch of books I requested to show up at the library and needed something to read so I hit the shelves--and was delighted to find a relatively new Charles Todd "Inspector Rutledge" novel that I had missed.

The Inspector is sent to Cornwall to take over a case when the original inspector passes away. The case involves four women friends who tried to save a man from drowning in a river--then are accused to trying to kill him rather than saving him by a farmer on the shore who witnessed the incident.
The Inspector tends to believe the women are telling the truth but has no shred of evidence to prove it one way or the other. And neither side will budge on the story they've told. Then other people start getting attacked in the village and the Inspector wonders if there's an unknown element involved in the case. It's a good read for a slow summer Sunday. And it looks like there might be a romance in the Inspector's future...

The only thing I didn't like was that the "character" of Hamish (the voice in the Inspector's head) was barely present in this one. I like Hamish and miss his input.

Comments

Popular Posts