Vacationland by Meg Mitchell Moore

 I have to say, this has been my summer for reading books about people with big vacation houses in Maine, which is really making me wish my family had a big vacation house in Maine too!

Anyway, Vacationland tells the story of  Louisa and Kristie. Louisa (married to Steve) is a busy mom and professor who is desperately trying to use her stay in Maine to finish a book she's writing. Kristie is a lost soul who ends up (as it turns out, intentionally) in the same small town in Maine. She is single, her mother has just died, and now she's facing thousands of dollars in medical bills from her mother's illness that she can't afford to pay.

We find out why she ended up in Maine--and what her connection to Louisa is--as the story unfolds. The 2 main characters (and Louisa's mother) are very realistically written. And I loved Louisa's two young daughters, who are both very witty old souls.

Good book for the waning days of summer.

Comments

Popular Posts