Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie

I enjoyed this charming tale when it first came out years ago and liked it just as much the second time, when rereading it for my book group. Balzac/Seamstress tells the story of two "intellectuals" who are sent to the countryside for reeducation during the time when Mao ran China. While they're out performing menial labor and trying to survive until they can go home again, the boys stumble across a secret stash of forbidden books, including several by the aforementioned Balzac. One of the boys, Luo, is convinced he can use Balzac to entice, then "make more cultured" the beautiful daughter of the town's tailor. But she clearly has a mind of her own. I particularly liked the use of gentle humor (we never had enough schooling to be intellectuals) throughout.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed this book! It inspired me to read another book about China and the "reeducation" of the intellectuals by sending them to the countryside, this time in the late 1950's. The book is "Dreams of Joy" by Lisa See. Wondered if you have read any of her books, as I see she also has a mystery series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book group read one of hers--Snow Flower and the Secret Fan--a while ago. Have you read her mystery series? Worth reading?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first in the series is on my wishlist, but it's going to be awhile because I need a break from China -- and am now in 18th century France!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts