Compound Fractures by Stephen White

I liked most of this series featuring Boulder, Colorado psychologist Allan Gregory and his best friend cop Sam Purdy. And I was sad to hear that Stephen White had decided to end the series. But not so much anymore after reading Line of Fire and now Compound Fractures, in which White decided to figuratively destroy most of the fictional world he had created--Allan's practice, his marriage, his friendship with Sam, his professional partnership with Diane. And I'm not quite sure why he decided to go that route.

As I noted in my review of Line of Fire, White has managed to get rid of most of the strong female characters, which was a major draw for this series. That leaves Allan Gregory as the focus of too much of the story. Sadly, he has never been my favorite character. He's kind of whiny and self-absorbed, which becomes even more evident when a startling revelation about his wife Lauren comes out--and he had absolutely no clue.

I wanted to see how the series ended because I've invested so much time in it. But this book took forever to read. There are a lot of pages spent pondering and talking about the same old things over and over. And the big bombshell at the end seemed a little far-fetched.

If you're new to the series, stick with the earlier books.

Comments

Popular Posts