The Governor's Wife by Michael Harvey

I like this Chicago-based series  starring PI Michael Kelly a lot. That being said, for some reason
this wasn't my favorite book in the series.

Kelly gets offered a lucrative job from an anonymous client to find former Illinois governor Ray Perry, who vanished just after receiving a long prison sentence for corruption--leaving behind his long-time wife. I had a hard time believing a reputable PI (and former cop) would accept a huge paycheck without knowing where it was coming from. That was my first problem with the story. The second was that it was so depressing. Corruption, betrayal, back stabbing--and no humor or romance to break it up, as there was in previous books.

It's an interesting story, especially for those of us who live in Chicago. And there are some good twists. But I'd still recommend some of the earlier books in this series if you're new to Michael Harvey.

Comments

Popular Posts