A Window Opens by Elisabeth Egan

Alice Pearse is a wife and mother with a part-time job as an editor. And she likes her life that way. Then her husband quits his job and decides to open his own law practice and Alice has to go back to work full-time to support the family. This shift in the family dynamic throws everyone out of whack. At first, Alice's job at Scroll seems like the perfect fit for a book lover like her, but then it seems to be a 24/7 commitment, which is making it hard to keep up with her family responsibilities. At the same time, Alice's husband is having a hard time adjusting to his new role. And her best friend sees Alice's new company as a threat to her own independent bookstore. And oh yeah, Alice's father is dying.

As you can imagine, there is a lot of stress in this book. I liked Alice, who was trying to keep everyone happy while becoming more and more unhappy herself. And I liked the subplot about her father. I thought the character of Genevieve, Alice's boss, was well drawn. But I thought there was a little too much detail about her new job. I kind of felt like I had to understand all those analytics myself. But it was a good story overall. And I was happy to see so many lit lovers in one story.

Comments

Popular Posts