Brighton by Michael Harvey

Let me start by saying that I loved the Michael Harvey books set in Chicago: The Chicago Way, The Fifth Floor, etc. So I thought I'd enjoy his newest, Boston-based book, Brighton. Well, it's a quick read but man is that one depressing book.

Kevin Pearce is the "hero," though he's not too heroic by traditional standards.
Of his whole circle, he was the only one to escape the mean clutches of the hardscrabble Brighton neighborhood where he grew up. Kevin becomes a successful reporter for the Boston Globe.
He ends up back in his old neighborhood to check up on his best childhood friend, Bobby, who may be a suspect in a series of murders. And we're not really sure whether or not Bobby was indeed responsible till the very end. So from that perspective, it's a good mystery.

But the story features such a bunch of unhappy people--Kevin's 2 sisters, all of his remaining childhood friends, his parents, on and on. They had miserable lives and there was no way out of their misery.  I have to go read some fluffy chick lit now to get the bleakness of Brighton out of my head.


Comments

Popular Posts