The Wife by Alafair Burke

I'm not sure what to say about The Wife. The only character I really liked in the book was the teenage son of the main character, Angela. While I should have felt sympathy for Angela due to her horrible past, I really didn't. And her husband Jason turns out to be kind of a jerk, though he does seem to really love Angela and her son.

The story basically is that Jason, a very successful businessman/professor is accused of sexual misconduct by one of his female interns. After that story comes out, a business associate says Jason raped her. Jason proclaims his innocence in both cases and Angela stands by him, partially I think because she doesn't want to lose their nice life but also because she loves him. Then things go from bad to worse for Jason. And Angela has to decide what's more important: Standing up for her husband or protecting her own and her son's future.

This book reminded me of 2 other popular books of the past--Gone Girl and Presumed Innocent. I guessed part of how it would end (though not all of it). The story is well written. It's just kind of a depressing look at a modern marriage.

Comments

Popular Posts