A Cruel Deception by Chas. Todd

I'm more into the Inspector Rutledge series by this mother-son duo than the Bess Crawford series. But I have read a few of the latter, so I picked the latest one up at the library. I made it about halfway through then gave up--it was just too depressing for the holiday season.

Bess is a nurse during WWI. Her boss asks her to go to Paris to find out what happened to her grown son, who is a member of the military who is supposed to be working as a translator at the peace negotiations but seems to have disappeared. Bess finds the man living in a small village, addicted to laudanum, and being cared for by a young woman whose family he had helped during the war. The two of them are running out of money, so there is little food or heat. Bess moves in to help the young woman care for the man--who seems to be suffering from a guilty conscience over something and is possibly violent. It was just too bleak for me reading about how cold and hungry there were, with the threat of violence from this unstable man always nearby. But Bess is a feisty, persistent woman, so I'm sure it all turned out okay in the end.

Comments

Popular Posts