Siracusa by Delia Ephron

 I will start by saying I did not like this book. Or any of the characters in it. Siracusa tells the story of 2 married couples and their vacation to Siracusa, Sicily that ended up drastically changing all of their lives.

Michael is married to Lizzie who once had a fling with Finn who is married to Taylor. The latter two are parents to the kind of creepy Snow (a daughter). Michael is having an affair with Kath, who also shows up in Siracusa, which turns out not to be the best travel plan she ever made. The story is told by revolving narrators, sometimes repeating the same episode from a different perspective. I guess I had the most sympathy for Taylor (the only one not cheating on her spouse), though her relationship with Snow was a little obsessive. Truthfully, I was going to give up on this book halfway through but one of the reviews I read said it had a surprising ending, so I started skimming halfway through then read the ending.  By the end, I liked these characters even less, if that's possible.

Comments

Popular Posts