In search of a few good books

I'm looking for suggestions on good books for book group discussions--or just plain good books.

My 2 recommendations are:

Fiction
Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah. I started reading it on Saturday afternoon and stayed up till 2 am to see how it ended. It's about 2 grown daughters and their chilly relationship with their mother, a survivor of the Siege of Leningrad during WWII.



Non-fiction
Last Train from Hiroshima by C. Pellegrino. It's a fascinating account of survivors of the atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. There are also interviews with the pilots from the planes that dropped the bombs.

Comments

  1. Winter Garden sounds terrific. I recommend Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo, and America America by Ethan Canin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over Christmas break, I read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Although not necessarily a great book group candidate, the action/mystery was certainly a page turner. I can't wait for the third installment to come out this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Hunger Games and Catching Fire are both amazing! I also love A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts