The Panther by Nelson DeMille

I've enjoyed many of Nelson DeMille's earlier books--Plum Island, Upcountry, Night Fall. But I didn't love The Panther, the latest in the "John Corey" series. Part of the problem is that, at 628 pages, this thriller is just too darn long. There are way too many pages spent talking about Yemen (where most of the book is set), and it just brings the action to a grinding halt. The other problem is that FBI consultant John Corey, who used to be an appealing hero, has become extremely obnoxious. His nonstop wisecracking quickly becomes annoying to the point that you wish someone would put a piece of duct tape over his mouth. I did like the addition of Paul Brenner (from some of the earlier DeMille novels) to the anti-terrorism team. And the last 100 pages were action packed and fast paced. Since there were a few loose ends at the end of this book, I'm assuming there will be a sequel. I pray that N DeM's editor convinces him to be a little pithier and to tone down John Corey's wisecracking tendencies. All in all, I'd recommend Upcountry or Night Fall more than The Panther, if you're in the mood for DeMille.

Comments

Popular Posts