The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

I finally got my hands on the 3rd volume in the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series.
I have to say, volume 2 (The Girl Who Played with Fire) is still my favorite. Though I was glad to see at least some of the bad guys from the earlier book get their comeuppance in this one.

The problem with this book (which is almost 600 pages long) is that it needed some editing. I almost dozed off during the extremely detailed description of the creation of the secret police in Sweden. And there's a lot of talk about Swedish politics which probably won't mean much to the average American reader. But the parts with Lisbeth and Mikael do come alive and you have to admire the ingenuity of both characters.

Even though the series was cut short by the untimely death of author Steig Larsson, the ending of Hornet's Nest does work as an effective end to the series. I do recommend reading book 3 right after book 2 if you can manage it. I had to wait for the last volume and by time I got it, I had forgotten some of the details of the story and the relationships between the bad guys.

Comments

Popular Posts